Translate

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Druid's Potato & Leek Soup

It's Autumn, and it's time to start thinking about warm, savory soups to keep us heated and going during the chilly months. So here is my recipe for a delicious simple soup that your family will crave after the first taste.

6-8 Red Potatoes
2 Leeks
1 Shallot, or 1 Cup Yellow Onion
2 10.4oz Cans of Cream of Celery Soup
1 10.4oz Can of Cream of Broccoli Soup
2 Cups of Chicken Broth
2 Cups of Chopped Bacon
1/2 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Thyme
2 TBSP Black Pepper

1: Sauté the shallot (or onion), and leeks together in a skillet until lightly wilted and starting to brown. (I use the same pan I cook the bacon in, so I can use the grease, and it's already hot)

2: Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch thick cubes the best you can. I realize potatoes are roundish and not square, so just do what you can with what nature gives you.

3: Combine all the ingredients in a crock pot or other similar slow cooker, stirring everything together until mixed thoroughly. Set the temperature controls to low, and allow to cook for 7-8 hours.

4: Serve with a light side salad and enjoy!

This is a dish that you can literally prepare in the morning, and it will be ready to eat when you come home from work or school. Yes, some of you will cry foul over my use of condensed soup in the recipe, saying I am cheating, but this recipe is for the everyday cook. For the person that works 8-10 hours a day, and doesn't have time or the energy to whip it all together from scratch.

I will be posting a recipe eventually for bread bowls to serve this soup in, just keep in mind, I do not like sourdough. So if you want a sourdough bread bowl, you will have to find or make one yourself. I know, it's kind of a mean attitude to have, but when I post the recipe for bread bowls, it will either be garlic rosemary bread, or some kind of pop-over puff.

~Bon Appétit~

Crock-Pot 6 1/2-Qt. Touchscreen Slow Cooker (Google Affiliate Ad)

No comments:

Post a Comment